Today I’m going to share with you my super quick, easy and naturally gluten free Halloween Coconut Ice Recipe.
Halloween is all about the tricks and treats, and what could be more of a treat than homemade sweets? The trick is how easy these sweets are to make, as they require no cooking or baking – simply knead the ingredients together, press the mixture into a tin and leave it to set overnight.
It’s a great recipe to get the kids involved in, as there is no hot or dangerous equipment to supervise them around, and the more pairs of hands you have to help with the kneading, the better!
Coconut Ice is traditionally white and pink, but I decided to colour mine yellow and orange as a nod to Candy Corn sweets which are traditionally given out at Halloween in America.
Store your sweets in an airtight container and they will last for up to a month.
Halloween Coconut Ice
1 x 397g condensed milk
400g desiccated coconut
400g icing sugar
Yellow gel food colouring
Orange gel food colouring
1) Lightly grease and line a square baking tin with cling film.
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix the condensed milk, desiccated coconut and icing sugar until the ingredients start to come to together, then using your hands knead the mixture until becomes firm and pliable.
3) Spilt the mixture into three and leave one third of the mixture white. Colour one third of the mixture yellow by adding a small amount of yellow food colouring, then knead the mixture on a surface sprinkled with icing sugar to stop it sticking, until the colour is evenly distributed. Colour the remaining third orange in the same way.
4) Place the yellow mixture into the lined tin and press it down firmly until forms an even layer over the base of the tin. Place small balls of the orange mixture over the yellow layer, and press down firmly until it creates another even layer. Repeat with the white mixture.
5) Once you have finished your layers, leave the mixture to set in the tin overnight.
6) Once it has set, turn your slab of coconut ice out of the tin, then cut it into bite sized squares and enjoy!
I love seeing pictures of your bakes, so if you try any of my recipes please take a snap of your creation and share it with me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter using the hashtag #titchytonbakes and I will share my favourites over on my Facebook page!