Here in the UK it is Coeliac Awareness Week and to help raise awareness of this important campaign I am posting very simple Gluten Free recipes to help any newly diagnosed Coeliacs get started.
My first post was my Victoria Sandwich Recipe and today I will be sharing my recipe for Gluten Free Cheese Scones.
Scones are a true classic and a bake that should be in every baker’s repertoire. They are perfect for beginners (they were certainly the first thing I learnt to make) and possible to achieve Gluten Free – you just need to make sure the dough is moist enough!
Gluten Free Cheese Scones – GF/DF options
This recipe makes approximately 8 scones.
250g gluten free self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g butter, unsalted
A pinch of salt
75g mature cheddar, plus extra for the top.
2 eggs (one for glazing)
75ml milk (or dairy free alternative)
1) Preheat the oven to 220 C/200 fan C/gas mark 6.
2) In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3) Rub together the butter and flour mixture until you have a breadcrumb like texture, then stir through the cheese.
4) Add an egg and start to bring the mixture together using a wooden spoon.
5) Add the milk bit by bit and use your hands to bring the mixture together in a smooth dough.
6) Lightly dust a work surface with flour then roll out the dough to 3/4cm thick – don’t roll out the dough too flat or you will have very flat scones!
7) Place the scones on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Lightly brush the top of each scone with beaten egg then sprinkle over a little bit more cheese.
8) Bake the scones in a preheated oven for 15 – 18 minutes until they are golden brown.
9) Leave the scones to cool on a wire rack or enjoy warm with lashings of butter! To refresh the scones, sprinkle them with a little cold water and gently warm them in the oven.
Please don’t forget to check out my Victoria Sandwich Recipe for Coeliac Awareness Week or if you are looking for more inspiration take a look at my Recipes Page.
You can also keep up to date with my kitchen adventures on:
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/titchyton