Easter Sunday may only be one day away but there is still enough time to get baking some delicious Easter treats.
The recipe is so simple and easy to make – just be sure to chill the cookie dough for a few hours to make it easier to handle. You can make the cookies your own by choosing different shaped cookie cutters and by decorating them however you fancy!
Gluten Free Vanilla Sugar Cookies
For the cookies:
130g Rice Flour
150g Self Raising Gluten Free Flour
1 tbsp Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
For the Royal Icing:
1 egg white
250g Icing Sugar
1) In a large bowl, mix the gluten free flour and suagr until combined.
2) Rub in the butter until you have a bread crumb like texture.
3) Add the egg and vanilla essence and start to bring the ingredients together using a wooden spoon.
4) Tip the contents onto a lightly floured surface and use your hands to work the ingredients into a soft dough.
Tip. Don’t worry if the dough seems a little sticky as it will be refrigerated which help it to firm up – don’t be tempted to add more flour!
5) Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge for at least and hour.
6) Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C/Gas Mark 4 and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
7) Dust a clean surface with rice flour and roll out the dough using a rolling pin.
8) Cut out the cookie shapes with your chosen cutters and transfer them to the prepared tray using a palate knife.
9) Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the biscuits are firm and a light golden brown – be sure to keep an eye on them as they could quickly over-bake.
10) Transfer the biscuits to a wire rack to cool.
11) To make the Royal icing, place 1 egg white in a bowl and slowly sift in the icing sugar in batches. In between the batches of icing sugar, stir with a wooden spoon or a balloon whisk until the icing thickens up, it is now ready to be used. Transfer the icing into a piping bag, if you are not using your icing straight away cover the bowl with cling film to prevent air getting to it which will cause it to harden. If you wish to decorate the cookies in different colours, simply add a few drops of food colouring to the icing.
12) Decorate the cookies however you fancy!
I hope you all have a lovely Easter weekend and eat plenty of Chocolate!