Today, I’m going to share with you my Gluten Free Carrot Cake Recipe – perfect for those of you who aren’t too keen on chocolate but still want something sweet to celebrate the Easter weekend.
I love Carrot cake, and whilst it isn’t necessarily thought of as a traditional Easter bake, I really can’t think of a better time of year to enjoy it. After all… Easter, Spring, Bunnies… it all makes sense really!
This cake is really quite simple to make and keeps really well – In fact, it tasted as good, if not better a few days later. It can also be kept at room temperature, although, if your house is a bit warm it may be best kept in the fridge.
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – GF
For the cake:
300g gluten free self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
200g grated carrots
50g walnuts, roughly chopped
175g light brown sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
150ml sunflower oil
3 large eggs
For the frosting:
2 x 180g tub philadelphia cheese
1 x 250g tub mascarpone cheese
4 tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Plus decorations, I used these House of Cake Carrot Sugar Decorations from Sainsbury’s.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/160 C fan/gas mark 4 and grease and line a round 7″ tin with greaseproof paper.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices, then stir through the grated carrots and chopped walnuts.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, sunflower oil and maple syrup, then add this to the dry ingredients, mixing until the ingredients are just combined.
4. Spoon the ingredients into the prepared tin and then bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted through the middle comes out clean.
5. Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool completely before assembling. `
6. For the frosting, gently mix together the Philadelphia, Mascarpone and vanilla extract then gently fold through the icing sugar.
7. Carefully cut the cake into two halves using a sharp knife or cake cutting wire.
8. Place the base of the cake onto a serving plate, cover it with and even layer of frosting then place the second piece of cake on top. Spread remaining frosting across the top using a palate knife and finish off the cake with your chosen decorations.
I hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend. If you are looking for any more Easter baking inspiration why not check out my Gluten Free Mini Egg Ice Cream recipe which can be found over on The Daily Spectacle website. It’s a no churn recipe and it can be prepared ahead – the perfect dessert for Easter Sunday Lunch.
There are lots of other Easter recipes for you to try here on my blog too, including my Mini Egg Millionaire Shortbread, Chocolate Nest Cupcakes and Easter Sugar Cookies or you can see what else I get up to over the Easter weekend over on my Instagram or Facebook Page.
4 thoughts on “Gluten Free Easter: Carrot Cake Recipe”
What country are you in? The measurements and temperatures are not right for US.
Hi Tracy, I’m in the UK.
I followed your carrot cake recipe and it was amazing – didn’t taste gf at all or require any exotic types of flour. Thanks very much for posting. I’ll be trying another one of your recipes!
Hi Sarah. Thank you so much for your feedback – I’m thrilled you like it! Please let me know if you try any of the other recipes. Enjoy your cake! X